100 Intelligent Cities Challenge
After the success of the Digital Cities Challenge (DCC) programme, the European Commission launched the follow-up project, 100 Intelligent Cities Challenge, in March 2020. The new project has an even wider scope and involves over 100 cities. Being part of the existing DCC network of cities, Sofia was invited to apply for the successor initiative.
The application process was open for cities and regions across Europe, as well as for cities outside the EU. Apart from Sofia, the applications of two other Bulgarian cities – Vratsa and Haskovo – were also accepted and they joined the project as well. You can find more details about the ICC project on its official website: intelligentcitieschallenge.eu.
The 100 Intelligent Cities Challenge (100 ICC) Project
The 100 Intelligent Cities Challenge (100 ICC) is a 30-month programme delivered by regional specialists based on the collective expert experience of over 100 smart city strategies, tailored to the biggest thematic issues of the cities – be it energy, mobility or security, or other local priorities. ICC will focus on the implementation of strategies, a common open data platform, the creation of a market for smart urban solutions, the realisation of joint investments and the establishment of new mechanisms for international support. Sofia’s participation in the project is being coordinated by the team of Innovative Sofia.
The 100 Intelligent Cities Challenge (100 ICC) will sustain, reinforce and expand the existing DCC network of 40+ cities to around 130 cities. It aims to:
- support cities to build ecosystems for smart, green, climate-neutral, sustainable growt
- stress the importance green industrial transition and new business models
- help implement the new EU political guidelines at local level, e.g. through local Green Deals, and lead tech uptake for better life
- help Europe become a global eader in creating more sustainable, innovative and social cities
The Programme Includes:
- local visits, events, network support activities
- support by lead experts and thematic experts
- consulting support from leading experts and specialists in five thematic areas: citizen participation and e-government, green economy and local green deals, upskilling and reskilling, supply chains, logistics and the economics of mobility, and green and digital transition in tourism
Sofia’s Participation in the ICC Programme
During the project, the City of Sofia will focus on the “E-government & Citizen Participation” thematic area. The city will receive personalized expert consulting support – in person, online and as part of a community of 100+ cities – to implement its digital transformation strategy and to achieve a specific project, tool or process to facilitate the intelligent development of Sofia in this area.
The methodology used during ICC was developed by the European Commission, and until the end of January 2021 we are in Phase 2 of the project – “Preparation & Assessment”. During this phase, together with stakeholders from the local ecosystem, we focus on the analysis of the current state, vision, priorities and needs of the ecosystem in Sofia, related to the topic “Citizen participation and e-government”.
Stay tuned to learn more about the upcoming seminars and initiatives related to the project in April 2021!
You can find more details about the project here.
You can find more information about Sofia’s participation in the Digital Cities Challenge programme and the benefits from the initiative here.